Skip to content
Monday, April 4
- Finish discussion of “The Preludes”
- Introduction to The Waste Land
- Assign groups to focus discussions of The Waste Land.
- If you weren’t assigned a section, you’re responsible for all sections of the poem.
Wednesday, April 6
- Water outage: class cancelled.
Waste Land Memes Assignment
- Create two image macro memes with the following parameters:
- The text must be a brief, direct quote from your assigned section of The Waste Land.
- The image must be a representation of the image, text, objective correlative referenced in that quote.
- The goal of these two memes is to offer insight on that portion of the poem.
- Create one meme with the following parameters:
- The text must quote, paraphrase, touch on, or riff on an excerpt from your assigned section of The Waste Land.
- The image can be anything you want, as long as it isn’t sexist, racist, ableist, or otherwise offensive. You can even insert text from the wasteland on an established image macro, or other kind of meme (such as a GIF, comic, or other popular format).
- The goal of this meme is to make a humorous comment on that portion of the poem.
- Publish your memes before class on Monday, April 11.
- Create/login to your Twitter account.
- Make your image no larger than 512 pixels high.
- Post each meme image on Twitter with the quote and using the following hashtags: #WasteLandMemes #NPM16 #NationalPoetryMonth
- Be prepared to discuss your memes– and The Waste Land— in class on Monday.