Fulbright U.S. Student Program

Application deadline: September 11, 2015

Explore student awards with this interactive map.

Fulbright U.S. Student Program

The Fulbright U.S. Student Program offers fellowships for U.S. graduating college seniors, graduate students, young professionals, and artists to study, conduct research, and/or teach English abroad.

Fulbright U.S. Student grants include:

  • round-trip transportation to the host country
  • funding to cover room, board, and incidental costs, based on the cost of living in the host country
  • Accident & Sickness Health Benefits


Applicants must be U.S. citizens at the time of application. Permanent residents are not eligible.

Fulbright applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree or the equivalent before the start of a Fulbright grant. You can apply for a Fulbright award during your last year in college.

While Fulbright grants may not be available for undergraduate research and study, it’s never too early to start thinking about a Fulbright application. Here are some things you can do to prepare to apply for a Fulbright award:

  • Learn the language of the country you’d like to visit. Many countries require a minimum of 1-2 years of college level study in their language.
  • Participate in undergraduate level exchanges in the U.S. or abroad. These experiences prepare you for a year abroad and are good for your resume. If you can go to the country you wish to have a Fulbright in, even better because you can
  • Begin to establish contacts in your target host institution. Most Fulbright applications require a letter of affiliation, a letter from the institution that states that you would be received and hosted by their program, if you win the award.