Welcome to the Spring 2017 Digital Humanities Internship!
I have won a small grant from the Fundación Puertorriqueña de las Humanidades to translate I ♥︎️ Poetry into Spanish and redesign it as a bilingual website with stronger entry points and resources for K-12 students, educators, and the general public. Our focus will be on developing the site along several lines:
- First things first, awaken I ♥︎️ Poetry from its dormant state. It’s been semi-dormant for the past two years and its time to get it going as a living project, which implies a number of translation
- Make a fresh WordPress installation with the WordPress Multilingual plugin
- import content from the original site and translate to Spanish. Most of the original entries are already translated offsite.
- Redesign website & create resources for multiple audiences.
- Launch new installation, mapping old URLs to new ones in the ht.access file.
- Build plugins for metadata and search engine integration with http://cellproject.net/.
- Adopt or develop plugins with library standards integration.
We will also be working on developing the English Department Website, which includes:
- Online journalism.
- Publicizing and covering events.
- Updating and developing the English Department Website.
- Other related duties.
In the meantime, your initial tasks are to:
Write a self-evaluation of the work you’ve done this semester, so far:
- List all the tasks you’ve taken on and completed.
- Reflect upon your work (individually or globally) considering the following:
- Did you do the tasks?
- Did you do them in a timely manner?
- Did you do them well?
- With this in mind, suggest a midterm grade for yourself.
- E-mail me your self evaluation by Friday, October 14.
- Think about a project we might want to do individually or in groups:
- An event related to the English Department and its communication network or I ♥︎ E-Poetry.
- Write an I ♥︎ E-Poetry entry on a work of your choice.
- Write a new section of the English Department Website or a series of articles for the blog.
- Other ideas are always welcome.
- Write a 1-paragraph proposal of the idea you wish to present and share it via slack before our next class. We will discuss the ideas next week.